Congratulations to our 2017-2018 Initiates!
Being an honor society, scholastic achievement is the primary basis in which members are invited to join Tau Beta Pi. The eligibility requirements are listed below:
- Juniors: top 1/8th of your class
- Seniors: top 1/5th of your class
- Graduate students: top 1/5th of your class and at least 50% of your coursework completed, including research
- Alumni: must have graduated in the top 1/5th of your class
- Practicing engineers: must have achieved eminence in engineering as determined by Headquarters
The second requirement to join is to be of exemplary character. We gauge this based on our interaction with you during the events during the initation process.
Note: class standing is determined by the number of units you have, not by the number of years you have been at UC Davis. Junior standing is defined as 90-134 units, and Senior standing is defined as 135 units and up.
If you are a transfer student, please keep your grades up and look out for an invitation in the following year. Bylaws require that you have been a student at UC Davis for at least 3 quarters (1 year) before you can be considered.
Why You Should Join
There are countless professional, academic, and social benefits to joining Tau Beta Pi. These range from networking events at local chapters with industry professionals, scholarships and fellowships that you have a very high probability of winning, and recognition for your scholastic achievements. These are just a few of the benefits, a more complete list may be found here.
The initiation process is quarter long, and it is designed to integrate you into the chapter by having you attend or run events that give back to the community.
Each chapter has its own unique requirements, those for the CA Lambda chapter are listed below:
- Attend Steal the Bent
- Attend a Shine the Bent
- Attend at least 2 social events
- Attend at least 4 hours tutoring sessions over 3 sessions
- Build a bent to specified dimensions
- Pay a $120 membership fee (good for life!)
During the information sessions (date, time, and location all provided in invitation emails) you will receive more information on how to initiate.
We require that you scale the proportions of your bent based on the specifications listed in the image below. Small margins of error will be tolerated, but clearly misproportioned bents will be rejected. Note the size depicted is not the maximum, you are free to scale up the size of your bent as large as you wish.